For batter2 cups urad dal (soaked overnight or at least for 7 to 8 hours in water)
2-3 green chillies
1-2 inches ginger
2- 3 stalks of curry leaves
For mixing after1/2tsp ginger
1tbspCoconut (cut in small shavings)
5-6 curry leaves (chopped)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
Method of preparation
- Wash and soak urad dal in water for overnight or for at least 7-8 hour.
- After the urad dal is soaked and bloomed remove the excess water.
- Then add green chillies, ginger, curry leaves and grind the ingredients with no water in small-small batches (Note: if the batter is very tough, add little water but not very much).
- After all the mixture is ground check the correctness of the batter by adding a small amount in water if the batter floats mean it is perfect and ready to fry
- Now add some finely chopped ginger, coconut, curry leaves and salt, mix it well.
- To fry the medu vada, heat oil in the frying pan.
- Wet your hands and take a small gulp of batter in your one hand then wet your finger and make a hole in it like donuts and put that in the hot oil.
- (Note turn oil on medium to low flame once it is hot.)
- Fry the medu vada's flipping occasionally until well cooked and crispy golden brown.
- Now the serve this hot medu vada with coconut chutney and sambhar.
check out the recipe for coconut chutney