Green Chicken Gravy
|Green Chicken Gravy|
Green Chicken is a very rich Indian-style gravy and very flavourful delicious recipe. Basically, the recipe has a mild refreshing flavour and the green colour comes from fresh green coriander & mint leaves Due to which it got its name as green chicken.
Hope you all like this recipe. Please let me know how your outcomes, thoughts etc on this recipe is. And if you tried the recipe don’t forget to share your photos on social media and tag me on that.
Get in touch with me on:
Preparation Time: 10-20 min
Cooking Time: 40-50 min
Serves 4-5 people.
For green masala
2 cups fresh green coriander leaves
1 cup fresh mint leaves
1 strand curry leaves
1 tbsp white sesame (optional)
1.5 tbsp coriander seeds (hakha dhaniya)
1/2 tbsp cumin (jeera)
7-8 black Peppercorns
7-8 garlic cloves
2-3 green chillies
400g Chicken with bones
1.5 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
2-3 tbsp Green Masala (we made above)
1 tsp Garam Masala
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 cup Curd
1 bay leaf (tej pata)
3-4 black peppercorns
1-star anise ( chakr phool)
2 green cardamom ( choti elachi)
4 medium onions ( pureed)
1/2 small tomato (finely chopped )
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
a handful of cashews and almonds (soaked and pureed)
Coriander leaves ( chopped for garnish)
Method of preparation
Step1: Green Masala
• Grind green coriander leaves, mint leaves, curry leaves, white sesame, whole coriander seeds, cumin, cloves, black peppercorns, garlic, ginger, green chillies and 1 lemon squeezed in a mixer grinder with little water until a smooth paste.
Step 2: Marination
• In a bowl, add Chicken, ginger-garlic paste, 2 tbsp of green Masala (we made above), garam masala, turmeric powder mix it and add curd.
• Mix them all and let it marinate for about 1-2 hour in the refrigerator.
Step 3: Gravy
• Heat oil in a kadhai, add all the whole spices: bay leaf, black peppercorns, cloves, star anise, green cardamom, cumin and onion paste.
• Saute them until onions paste is golden brown in colour
• Then add in the ginger-garlic paste and saute for 2-3 minute
• Now add garam masala and the remaining green masala and cook for about 5-6 minutes
• Now add the tomato, and saute for more 5-6 minutes or until the oil starts to leave sides
Note if the Masala is sticking sprinkle some water.
• Add salt and the marinated chicken and mix well
• Let the Chicken cook completely with a closed lid on medium to slow flame. If needed add water to make more gravy
• After the Chicken is cooked add the cashew paste to it. Mix and cook for a minute. Then garnish with freshly chopped green coriander leaves.
• The Green Chicken Gravy is ready to serve